Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 13, 2010 First Congregational UCC, WY

There is not sermon to read for this Sunday as I was at the Rock Mountain Conference Annual meeting. It was my first time to be able to attend this Annual Conference and enjoyed meeting many new people who are members of various churches throughout this conference. The main speaker was Tim Wright, an ELCA Lutheran pastor who has worked both in a mega church and is now in a smaller congregation of 300 or so, in developing a different style of ministry - meaning instead of reaching out to those folks who have never been to a church service or have spent many years away, a "seeker" style of ministry, he is developing a ministry that is geared for those who are churched but disciplining them to go out and do ministry. Much the way most mainline denominations would typically work at. The largest difference being how you approach your worship style and educational processes. I discovered that I tend to structure worship much in this style which blends many different approaches and styles of worship (contemporary and traditional), but again the basic difference is where one assumes the level of understanding of those who are attending. Being do they understand "church" language or not.
I also was able to gain some insight at this annual meeting of what I plan to do for programing this Fall, with respect to the Adult educational level. This was not a part of the conference meetings agenda, but rather a bi-product of my attending it, allowing me the time away from my work and in an introspective mind set for three days.
Until next week, I pray that all who read this blog have a great week and a deepening encounter with God!
Bye,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment