Monday, January 19, 2015

The Ten Words from God pt 4, "Family! You just gotta Love Them", by Rev Steven R Mitchell


The Ten Words From God pt4:

Family, You Just Gotta Love Them

By Rev Steven R Mitchell

Based on Exodus 20:12, Deut 5:16, and Sirach 3:1-16

For Mountain View United, Aurora, CO 1/11/2015

 

 

        The other day, as I was watching “Fried Green Tomatoes”, I was reminded about my childhood surroundings.  The story takes place in a small rural community; a community small enough where your business seemed to be the business of everyone who lived in that community.  To many people that may seem to be just a little too cozy.   The movie pointed out to me the differences between my childhood youth and that of my children and now my grandchildren. 

        The community that I grew up in was in south central Kansas with a population of 3,000 people.  My family was one of the earlier settlers in that community, meaning that I was directly related to about 1/3rd of the community, and being related through marriages to another 1/3rd of the community.  In otherwords, if you and I were not related by blood or through marriage, you and your family were “new comers”.  Believe me when I tell you that there wasn’t anything that I did away from home that my mother didn’t know about by the time I did get home.   I lived in a community where as a seven year old,I could walk a mile to the local swimming pool or spend part of my day milling around the stores downtown by myself.  Even though I thought I was doing things on my own, there were hundreds of eyes on me all the time.  My children never knew that type of freedom.  They were raised in communities of a million people or more.  There was not the ability to be nurtured in a community where there was extended family to look after them.  They only got to see their grandparents with planned visits.  I was able to walk to my grandmother’s house daily after school.  They did not have the opportunity to have weekly family gatherings where their aunts and uncles would gather, for meals, table games, and sharing stories of days gone by; not just of family history, but of the history of my community.

        We live in a world where many families do not live in the same communities as their parents or siblings, raising their children where there is no extended family nearby.  The fifth commandment of “Honor your father and mother” is a word of wisdom that is going to be very difficult to understand by our future generations because of the mobility that we have in this country.  I suspect that many of us when hearing this particular word from God probably think that to “honor our parents” means to put them up on a pedestal.  It may even mean to some of us, that we have to endure our elders.  I was told by my son, that it was his duty to care for me in my aging years because I was his father and that is what the bible tells him to do.  My response was not so agreeable.  I responded by saying, “I would prefer that he not take care of me in my aging years because the bible tells him to do so, but rather out of love for me and if he couldn’t then it would be best for him not to involve himself.”

        Sounds pretty harsh I am sure, but I think this is where the misunderstanding comes about this commandment.  We have been taught that the focus is that on adult child and aging parent, which it is, but it goes beyond that of the nuclear family.  This commandment is speaking to the collectiveness of the community that we all bring to that community.  It really focuses on cherishing the gift of human relationships. 

        I often joke about the number of “mothers” that I have in my life.  I tell people that I am more than what one mother could handle, so I needed the guidance of three other mothers to help keep me in line.  What it really speaks to is my appreciation of extended family, of relationships.  Sister Joan Chittister writes : This commandment tells us to honor whatever it is, whoever it is whose place in our life has been a place of honor, the ones who brought us to growth, to wholeness of life, the ones whose ways have given direction to our own.  This gives a much broader view than dealing with just biological connections.  For me this includes those teachers who influenced me as a student.  Women like Mss Settles, my kindergarten teacher, and Mss Dewisse my second grade teacher who took her whole summer providing summer classes for me and a handful of students, so that we could advance with our class to the third grade because we didn’t receive what we needed by our first grade teacher.  There was coach Ward, my basket ball coach who gave me encouragement when I wasn’t the most physically coordinated player on the team, or my father-in-law who shared with me about what to look for in wise investments.  It speaks to how I honor my mother and father’s memory.  My mother’s greatest gift to her children was the display of “unconditional love.”   I honor my father by remembering how he showed his care for me when he would include me as a 5 yr old on his camping trips, sharing little lessons on how to respect people of all walks of life.  The fifth commandment speaks about the generational connectedness.  This commandment doesn’t speak just about how we view the generation before us, but also about the generations that come after us.  I marvel at the number of people that I have met in the past year who have moved just to be near their grandchildren. 

        I am now in the age bracket of adult children who have aging parents, meeting the challenge of “how to care for our parents when they are no longer able to care for themselves.”  Although both of parents have pasted on, there are still three aunts who are alive and I am seeing how their children are changing their lives around to accommodate the needs of their parents.  One set of cousins are figuring out how to cope with their mothers need to move out of the house that has been her home for 55+ years, another who is giving up her time with her own grandchildren to be with her mother who is living in a care home, and the third set of children who have moved into providing community service in honor of their parents who are no longer able to physically help but are involved none the less.  Honor your father and your mother.       (read Lost Generation)

        Coming back to the movie, “Fried Green Tomatoes”, I said it reminded me of my childhood.  The story is very simple.  It is a story of one elderly woman who is living in a care home sharing her life’s story with a complete stranger – a middle-aged woman.  In that sharing they develop a deep friendship.  In these stories came a connecting of the past to the present and a bridge built for the future.  In the closing lines of the movie, the elderly Mrs Threadgood says to the middle-aged Evelyn, “You know what I think is the most important thing in life!  Family and friends.”  The Fifth commandment asks us to keep the most important aspect of life – for by honoring our parents we honor ourselves and the generations to come.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment